Monday, December 22, 2014

I, God - A Fictional 1st Person Story About God


I am God. I am not infinite. I have not always been, and I am ignorant of much. This is my history, and all the detail that matters to me.
I was. For a time that I cannot define, that undeveloped and unmoving fact was the extent of my being. I was. I did not think. I did not act. I did not want.
My first thought, the first of all thoughts, was profound. I considered myself. I identified myself as an entity. I considered that fact. What was I? I was thinking, therefore what was I?
Eventually, I answered that question. I am a alive.
Once I had I decided that I did exist, I also came to the conclusion that things must exist outside of myself as well. If I am, then there must be something that I am not.

I existed, and so did something else. I considered my outer limits. If I exist, and so does Else, what is the defining point between I and Else?
I decided that I was what I thought, and everything I did not think was Else.
Thus I came into being separate.

I considered time. I recognized a difference between a current thought, and one from moments ago. I considered that I exist, and time exists, and therefore I have existed for a length of time. How long have I existed? How long will I exist? How long has else existed? I could not answer these questions, not yet.

I then had my first desire. I wanted to witness else. I thought about what else there might be than I. What are the differences between one thing and another?
I thought about myself. I thought, because I am thinking my thoughts, there must be some boundary between myself and everything else. I imagined a place. Then around myself in all directions I thought of everything else.
Physical relations emerged.

I wanted to view this relationship. I wanted to understand the extent of myself, and of everything that I was not. I could not understand how to see outside of myself. I could not fathom a way to detect myself, nor something beyond myself.

I imagined then. I wanted so badly to see the place around me, imagined that moment. How would it feel to see? What could make that possible? There must be a form, or boundary between things. What were things made of?

My imagination created light. It created energy, and form. As I considered these things, the laws of the universe were written indelibly into logic and truth. I found that Else was what I made it.
I found myself enthralled with the notion of the Universe, the single all encompassing definition of else. I thought of this universe as a place. It had boundaries, like myself. It was an empty area. I saw this universe.

That space was jumbled with the energy and matter that I had imagined. It was beautiful, and for a time it satisfied me. I was, and it was.

In little time, however, I came to another desire, one that has been my quest and hardship ever since. I wanted to make Else something more. The chaos did not offend me, but if chaos was one method of existing, the other was order. I was not chaos. The Universe did not need to be chaos.

I then thought of what I wanted the universe to be. I tried many things. I created perfect art from energy and matter and light. I created vibration and sound and music. I created displays of cosmic fire and melodramas of dying stars that lasted millennia.
For a time I was amused.


After time this even became cumbersome and feeble. I needed more. I wanted to be surprised. How, though, does one become surprised? I understand everything. I know what every action is going to lead to. I see everything that exists, within myself and in Else.

I realized that in order to be surprised, I could not take the action that would surprise me. I needed someone else. I was, Else was, but there was not another I. I created another thinking being. I made it in the universe. I created it from the particles of energy I had played games with for so long. I fashioned a mind. I gave it flesh.

The creature saw the Universe around it. It heard the sounds of my vibrations. It considered its own existence. I watched. I did not interfere.

The being squirmed back and forth. It writhed in confusion and panic. I took pity, and spun the creature's being back into energy and cast it back out into Else. I considered the creature. I considered it's fear and frenzy.

A creature existing is not enough to amuse me. A being that thinks must have purpose in order to act. What action do I want to see? What purpose can a creature have in order to act?

The creation of humanity began. A creature must have a drive in order to act. Desire, like my own to view the Universe, could drive a creature.

Hunger was created, a need to consume more matter to replenish your own. Procreation would further the creation of beings, so that the exact nature of each being would be unknown to me.

I set into motion the things I had imagined. I wiped Else clean and created the Universe anew. I fashioned a place of stars and planets, on which my creatures could live. I created a world for the creatures. I made oceans and mountains. I made vast deserts and frozen lakes. I created a playing field for the creatures.

Then I made the creatures. There were many kinds, and not all of them lasted very long. The creatures lived and died. They ate and they played. They enjoyed their lives, and they suffered. They surprised me many times.

The smartest creatures thrived. The Humans became masters of the planet. They loved, they warred, and they died. They worshiped me, I believe.

The grand story of this little planet has interested me for a very long time. The way thinking creatures interact amazes me. I could cheat, and look through the tiny bits of matter and energy and see what was going to happen next. I could look at everything in Else and see the end of my little planet, but that would ruin the amusement of this little game.

I would have to find something else to do.


                                                                                         -God

No comments:

Post a Comment